Weekend Update: My Dog Ate My Inhaler

Someone in my household has a substance abuse problem and it's not me or Roger. First Scotch, then an Epi-Pen, and now an asthma inhaler; Tundra sure is positioning himself for a possible intervention. How many times can a puppy trip out on drugs and alcohol before rehab is prescribed? All joking aside, Tundra gave us quite a fright last night. Roger and I came home late from visiting friends and found him in a weird state. He usually greets us at the door, but the poor guy couldn't stand up. He was panting heavily and his heart was beating a mile a minute. His eyes were bloodshot and his pupils dilated. The empty Ventolin canister on the floor told us that he was high as a kite. He must have found my purse, rummaged through it and punctured the canister with his tooth, inhaling the remaining doses. We called a 24 veterinary line and they recommended we call poison control or bring him in for diagnosis. After consulting Google search results, we decided to stay up with him throughout the night and take him to the vet if his condition got worse. My puffer was only half-full at best and he would have needed to inhale multiple canisters for the effects to be lethal. We tried to coax him upstairs to sleep near us, but he didn't have the strength to climb the stairs. Roger instead laid a blanket down in the front entrance and kept him company until his hypertension subsided and he finally closed his eyes around 5am. Tundra is just starting to come off his high now about 18 hours later. He's drinking water and he managed to eat some dog food mixed with an egg yolk. He peed in the house--something he hasn't done in over a year--but other than that he's almost back to normal, thank goodness. It's so heartbreaking to look at him because he's clearly so exhausted from panting and his one pupil is dilated more than the other so he looks like a goofball. Lesson learned: Do not leave prescription drugs anywhere within dog reach. We are getting a taste of what it's like to be parents--worrying constantly, staying up all night, feeling guilty about whether or not we did the right thing--and I suppose it's a good thing that we're practicing with a 100lb dog who loves us unconditionally. This was him last night--such a saddycakes. 20140427-173855.jpg If you've read my other blog posts, you'll know that this inhaler incident is strike three for Tunders. Someone is most definitely an adrenaline junkie and too curious for his own good. I still can't believe this happened last night. I really hope none of you ever have to experience such a scare with your pets!

0
0