I'm almost embarrassed to show you the "Before" pictures from our most recent home renovation project. Talk about a disaster! Our home was built in 1987 and some facets of it are still stuck there--the main floor bathroom being one of them. I love our home to bits; the front entrance is bright, the layout is great, the rooms are big, but the previous owners either gave zero cares about its appearance or did not have the funds to make changes. I'm assuming the latter--trips to the hardware store are certainly not cheap! Since we bought the house in 2012, Roger and I are slowly going from room to room making necessary updates as our budget allows. Save up, do a project, save again, do a project, repeat. When you are marrying an accountant, there is no other way than the cost-effective way. I feel as though we're being rather smart about it; we're only spending money on the things that add definitive resale value to our home.
For example, in 2012 we built a deck
, installed hardwood floors
, and put up a backsplash in our kitchen.
In 2013, we painted the living room and dining room
, modernized the bannister
, and installed bamboo flooring
We experienced a renovation slowdown in 2014 considering Roger was in New York for three months. While he was away, I painted the office and bought a few accessories for the bedroom, but that was the extent of my home improvement activity. We're getting married next July (eek--just 13 months to go!), so our saving strategy has changed dramatically; almost everything is going towards the big day/honeymoon, etc.!
Recently inspired by a 15% off bathroom accessories sale at Rona, we decided to dabble once again in DIY project work. This room of choice this time? Our main floor powder room. It was in desperate need of some makeover magic.
Pictured below is what the bathroom looked like before. I tried to get a picture with the mirror and sink still present, but Roger was too fast for me. The toilet is new and we saved a ton of money installing it ourselves.
We had to repair quite a few big holes in the walls to prep for painting. I almost used a whole container of putty.
The toilet paper holder left a massive crater in the wall and mesh was not enough to reinforce it. When in doubt, use a raisin box. Roger and I were quite proud of our makeshift solution. Are we amateurs or what?!
The fun part was choosing what colour to paint the walls. I considered a few blue paint chips, but ultimately fell in love with the hue on a bridal business card. I took the card with me to Rona and the paint expert mixed me up a can in the very same colour. Yay!
Pictured below is the end result, which we are quite pleased with. I still need to soften the look with some finishing touches: A set of floating shelves above the toilet, a vase with flowers, and some pretty soap and towels would pull it all together. We were very fortunate that we decided to renovate when we did because the vanity was originally $400 on sale for $250. We ended up paying only $220 because of a small scratch on the surface. I picked up the mirror at Home Sense for $40.
All in all, it was a pretty cheap fix. The entire project cost us less than $600. This included the toilet, vanity, faucet, paint, and mirror. I'll post another photo when it's 100% done!
This is kinda the look I'm going for... except I went with the blue walls instead of white because our entire front entrance is white. A pop of colour is always nice!